Apr 21, 2016

Characters from History Collection (in the Works)

Many new song lyrics are featured in a post above.  The titles are long because they represent fictitious news headlines from the past.  For the most part, the subject matter came from 19th century America (some early 20th century subjects appeared, one French conundrum, and a couple of Irish fiascos as well).  Each song essentially looked for a core psychological event (giving up, protecting oneself, love, making friends, a role model's significance, trying, etc.) and then revolved around a story in history that embodied it.  Each song was based on a real event and real people from the past that I enjoyed investigating and acting out through music. 

This genre is essentially historical fiction.  I simply use my own experience to fill in possible thoughts and occasionally combine it with historical figures' quotes from letters, news clippings, and other sources (here's to trusting you Wikipedia).  Obscure (yet interesting) stories, locations, and people were chosen that don’t often make their way into our awareness through traditional history class.  It was fun, and the last time I enjoyed writing this much was probably when I was a kid interested in journalism.  Some of the songs are serious and personal in nature, while others are downright humorous (to me).  Musical influences in mind for this included The Decemberists, The Shins, Sufjan Stevens, Fiona Apple, Gillian Welch, Paul Simon, my general love for but inability to do this, and the massive falsetto confidence of many male pop stars (including Justin Timberlake, the Bee Gees, and Michael Jackson).  I had strong melodies and an "old folk/jazz" feel in mind as the central sound target throughout writing.  It will be nice to continue to write songs like this when I feel inspired to do so and when I feel an interesting connection to a person or event from the past.  People have offered various story ideas, and there is honestly endless potential for this style of writing (especially when employing quick, basic chords).  We have found the songs much more comfortable and fun to perform than songs of our past because of their straightforward historical nature.   

                                                   

      

I am in the process of forming a picture/plan of how these songs and their development fit into many other current interests and projects.  In the past, I would write this many songs and be certain about making an album.  To my surprise, I am really in a writing mode and excited to write more songs with melodies that are stacking up.  I really love the process of forming historically themed songs like this.  I'm fine not knowing what will become of them in an outer sense.  They really bring a lot of inner joy and are fun at shows.  I figure I'll keep going with the writing process while it's tugging at me.  To be honest, I am not sure about the relevance of fully-formed albums because it's not even how I consume music anymore.  I find most of my music through guitar lessons, friends, Pandora, and YouTube

At this time I'm not sure how these songs (by far my favorite) will be offered to anyone interested.  But I do know I will make it happen eventually and it will be different... Instead of going on the road, I'll probably be going on the internet! 

1 comment: